Have you pulled up to a fuel station and noticed B5 or B20 on the pump? Yep, that's biodiesel, an alternative fuel made from vegetable oil or animal fats. That number following the "B" says that it's blended with petroleum: B5 is 5 percent biodiesel and B20 is 20 percent. B100 is 100 percent biodiesel, no petroleum--also known as neat biodiesel.
Biodiesel is a popular alternative fuel that can be used in diesel engines (sorry, not gasoline engines). But don't give up, there's a lot of alternative fuels from which to choose. Which alternative fuel is right for you?
Learn More About Biodiesel
- What is Biodiesel?
- Find a Diesel or Biodiesel Vehicle
- Diesel & Biodiesel Maintenance
- Cold Weather Concerns & Biodiesel: What You Need to Know
- Where Can I Buy Biodiesel?
- Learn to Make Your Own Biodiesel - Part 1
- Learn to Make Your Own Biodiesel - Part 2
The Alternative Fuel Bible: Find Answers to Your Fuel & Vehicle Questions